.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sometimes I Wish That It Would Rain Here

Monday, November 21, 2005

the real war?

I'm not normally political, but I got this link from a friend of mine (thanks Matt), and I couldn't resist posting it.

http://mypetjawa.mu.nu/archives/133585.php#weapons

it's ostensibly gun pron, and most of the comments reflect that, but that's not what I find interesting. rather, I think it's interesting to hear what the combat in Iraq is like from people who are actually on the front lines. particularly interesting are what they see as discrepancies between the actual situation and its portrayal in the media. is the media just echoing the whim of public opinion that we don't feel like being in Iraq anymore? (sort of a vacuous question, I realize, but one whose answer is nonetheless significant)

it's possible that this is just something someone made up, but if you read it you can tell that it just feels true, it feels like it was written by someone who's been there.

the article really speaks for itself. if you're not into guns, you can skip that part, but I really suggest reading. even if not entirely factual or representative, I think it's quite informative.

3 Comments:

  • Honestly... I think that article was ridiculous. Military men might have the stereotype of being dull witted but you'd have to be stupid beyond belief to WANT to stay dying and fighting a war that has no point. It's been openly acknowledged that there are no weapons of mass destruction and that there never were. So we go in saying we're looking for those, there aren't any so we say we're staying to help the election, they have the election and have they even provided a reason to stay now?? Admitedly I don't follow the war much, but I don't recall people talking about it... we're just kinda there. I believe the reports of people there saying how much they hate it and how aweful it is and how pointless it is.... but that's just me

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tuesday, November 22, 2005 5:00:00 PM  

  • I don't pretend to know enough to have a really well informed opinion. however, I'm curious, anonymous, what you propose that we do? up and leave immediately? would that help? or would it leave the country to be overrun by anti-american insurgents?

    I'm not saying that military personnel on the ground necessarily have the best information. and I'm not saying I have a better solution. and I'm definitely not saying that I think it would be a good idea for us to stay there. I'm just wondering, if we leave, what do we do then? what does that mean for the Iraqis, whose government we've overthrown? what does it mean for surrounding nations? what does it mean for us and our continuing relations with the middle east?

    what does it mean for us to stay?

    By Blogger Jystar, at Tuesday, November 22, 2005 5:56:00 PM  

  • "I believe the reports of people there saying how much they hate it and how aweful it is and how pointless it is"

    But you don't believe the reports of people saying they feel like they're making a difference and accomplishing something worthwhile?

    You've already imposed your own beliefs and are selectively filtering information to match.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tuesday, November 29, 2005 5:31:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home